Tuesday 4 September 2012

Writer to Writer


I did an author interview with Alison, whose book I shared in my last post. Read on for more! 

(Also, stay tuned for my next blog. About three years ago my thesis supervisor asked me what the first book I read was that I considered 'mine'. I finally have an answer! And I'm writing about it! But I've gone back to read it as part of my response and since I have a shedload of work to do at the moment it's taking a few days.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning Bel, 
Thank's for having me on your blog! 

When and why did you begin writing? 
This is a question I wish I had a good answer to! I don't remember the first thing I wrote or why I started writing, just that I nearly always have been. I think the why comes from having stories to tell. Partly I began writing because I read so much - I probably get it from my mother, she'd been referred to on more than one occasion as a veracious reader! *laughs* As for the when,  the earliest book I can remember writing was when I was aged 12. I wrote about a boy called Rivulaun who could travel between portals into a magical kingdom, something I haven't attempted since. I tend to stick with Y.A. now.

What books or authors have most influenced you?
I always say I've been influenced by Tolkien, I love the trilogy and have read it multiple times since age 11 as well as the books that go with the story. Use of description came from there. However I'm influence by everything I read good or bad, I think it's just on a subtle level. I've recently been reading more fantasy/mystery stuff as well as high school drama based stuff, I'm working on including realistic dialogue so I find looking at how others write it helps.

Tell us a little about your writing process - how do your ideas begin, how do you plan, and how do you write?  
I don't think there is a set way I write but as a general formula for novels... Dream, Jot, Debate, Give in, Write. Rewrite. Edit. 
A lot of my novels start from dreams which I think is pretty common or alternatively I tend to get an idea from someone I see or conversation I've overheard. So watch out around me or you'll be in one of my books somewhere! *laughs*
As for planning I tend to jot ideas down as I write. With Ari's Story I didn't plan as such just wrote and as I wrote jotted possible endings down. With the companion novel Hanging from the Family Tree: Tobias' Story I had to plan so their timelines matched up and I think a lot of credit goes to the planning stage, it can really help align ideas.


Do you have a favourite place to write? What’s your set-up like? 
A favourite place to write... I have a writer's cabin, but it is TINY! *laughs* I mean even for me, and I'm pretty small. I love writing there though and I do any pen and paper writing I have there as I can really focus and remove the distractions from around me.  I have a red-carpeted platform and a small desk tidy and a beanbag that I write on there or I set out a blanket outside or an old blue chair from the 50's that was my grandmother's. Depending on how relaxed the scene is I sit in the appropriate place. A bit odd but it works! That and Tea, I drink endless tea when I write. 

Do you have a favourite genre to write in? If so, what about it appeals to you?
Young Adult is my favourite style to write in and under that I like to write romance. Although more and more I like to write small or big- in the case of Whispers on the Wind: Ari's Story- mystery plots as well.
I am currently working on the ending to a more supernatural and fantasy based novel; although I am trying to keep it all fairly plausible in terms of the world the characters inhabit because I like for the concept to make the reader think this could happen- this could be real, but I guess time will tell on that one!

Likewise, do you prefer any specific type of writing? Novels, poetry, shopping lists, etc? When I write I find it’s a case of the longer the better - I understand how novels work, can’t really write short stories, have written some atrocious teen angst poetry in my time, and never bother writing shopping lists. (Whenever I do I either lose it or don’t remember to put everything on it anyway.)
I love to write novels, I know exactly what you mean about knowing how to write them and the formula to use. I've not tried much to write short stories because I feel I'd only end up dragging it out to a novel anyway to fit it all in! As for poetry *laughs* haven't we all. I do still write some though and I am compiling two anthologies at the moment, one with the unusual theme of martial arts, so fingers crossed that goes well.
Shopping list get written and lost with alarming regularity now I just try to memorise them and save the hassle!

What is it that you love about writing?  
It's the chance to create something you love that you can share with the world and put out there and declare 'This is mine to share with you. Enjoy it!!!' Some people use pen and paper, others computers, some paint, some sculpt, others dance. Ultimately it's all to get a message or story out there and for the love of the art. 


Thank you for having me on your blog, Bel. It's been great. 
I'd like to add a huge thank you to anyone who has bought the book and read it I really hope you enjoy the story. Thank you for your support, the encouragement I've received has been amazing. If you have any questions about the book or the process of editing then feel free to visit my Q&A page and I'll do my best to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment